Party caucuses and conventions are a great way to get to know your neighbors and organize support for the leadership you want your city to have. They’re also how the DFL decides whether to endorse individual candidates for the offices on this year’s ballot.
Help Christa earn the DFL endorsement. Here’s how:
- Be a delegate to the City convention! Because the entire process is online it will be more convenient and require much less time commitment than the traditional process. If you ever thought you might want to be involved in the past, but were discouraged by how time-consuming it all was, this is your year to give it a try!
- If you don’t want to be a delegate, you can still register for the caucus, tell your neighbors why you support Christa, and elect delegates that will support endorsing Christa at the City convention.
- April 1 – April 30: Caucus registration. You can sign up to participate in your precinct caucus online, or (if you or someone you know doesn’t have internet access) by calling (612) 552-4215, or by texting (612) 712-7461. The best way to support Christa is to sign up and let them know you’re willing to be a delegate at the City convention.
- Tuesday April 27: Online caucus events. These are being held online because of Covid, and replace what would ordinarily be several hours in a nearby school gym or other public meeting space. It is also optional. You will be able to vote for delegates to go to the city convention whether or not you attend, but if you have questions or want to engage with the rest of the party’s activities this is a good opportunity to get involved.
- May 12 – May 18: Election of delegates to the Ward and City conventions. This is when we choose who will represent our precincts at the City convention, where the BET endorsement is decided! Each precinct has a set number of delegates it can send to the City convention. If fewer people indicate an interest to be delegates than the precinct cap, they will be automatically upgraded to delegate.
- Saturday, June 12: Virtual City Convention. This is another optional event, but is a good, last opportunity to get to know candidates before voting on the endorsement.
- June 9 – 15: Endorsement Balloting. Delegates to the City convention will vote on who to endorse for Mayor, Park-Board District Commissioner, Park Board At-Large Commissioners, and Board of Estimate and Taxation.
BET Endorsement Rules
Board of Estimate and Taxation endorsements will be different from the other races in important ways. Up to two candidates may be endorsed, but there will be:
- only one round of balloting.
- no ranked choice ballot.
Delegates may vote for up to two candidates, including “No Endorsement.” The top two candidates who get at least 60% on the first, and only, ballot will be endorsed. There will be up to 3744 delegates at the City convention, so BET candidates will likely need first-ballot support of over 2,000 delegates to earn the endorsement.